Sunday, 20 February 2011

A Thousand and One Styles

Well first off, thanks for all the follows/comments and also for spreading the word!

One of the things that drew me to stand up comedy - and is always keeping me interested - is the sheer range of styles that the entertainers bring to the table. Whether you like Tim Vine*'s use of props and songs, Stuart Francis' monotone one-liners, the angry Celt Dara O'Briain, or the new kid on the block: high-pitched Michael McIntyre, stand up literally has something for everybody**.

So, over to you: Which comics do you dislike and who's routine could you watch over and over?

* watch at your own risk - this is five minutes you're NEVER going to get back!
** with a sense of humour

4 comments:

  1. I do stand up from time to time myself, so this will be a good blog to follow.

    Personally, I can't stand Lisa Lampinelli. She's regarded as some sort of genius and she only says either the "N" word or "cunt".

    Bill Hicks is the comedian I can watch over and over. Everything he recorded was tight and hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to go making any enemies too early, but I often find that with a lot of female comedians; much like teenagers they swear because they feel they have to. It just feels too try-hard and people who base their comedy around curse words never seem comfortable with themselves, which is so so important.

    Unfortunately Bill Hicks was a little bit before my time (although oddly enough this doesn't apply to George Carlin RIP) and I find it hard to relate to his work - especially as what I've seen of it is very Americanised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loath Sara Silverman. As for comedians that I do like: Bill Hicks and George Carlin were both mentioned, and I love their work. Christopher Titus is another comedian that can really make you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could watch the same Eddie Izzard routine five times without getting bored. Dane cook, otoh, not even ten seconds before I feel so angry I'm about to have a stroke.

    ReplyDelete